The 4th Mwalimu Nyerere Schools Invitational Debate Championship – Leg 1 (Kenyan Edition)
Juja Preparatory and Senior Schools in partnership with Kenya National Debate Council & Tanzania Competitive Rhetoric Organization are happy to invite your school to the inaugural Mwalimu Nyerere Schools Invitational Debate Championship – Kenyan Edition to be held from 9th to 15th of April, 2019 at Juja Preparatory and Senior Schools, Thika, Kenya.
About the Debate
Mwalimu Nyerere Schools IV is TCRO’s flagship secondary schools debate championships which carries the name of Tanzania’s “father of the nation” Julius Kambarage Nyerere. The tournament aims to commemorate the legacy of the late teacher turned politician who embodied hard work, brotherhood and unity.
Since the first edition in October 2016, it has attracted both local and international participation and has been hosted in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. This has helped to develop the once infant culture of competitive debate in the region by exposing students to more active debate circuits through the World Schools Format which will be used at the competition.
This year, Kenya got the privilege of hosting the first leg of the championship.
- Schools can register for debate and public speaking categories.
- The competition is capped at 80 debate teams.
- A team is made up of five students (3 members and 2 substitutes).
- A school should bring teams from both junior (O level), and senior (A level).
- There will be 6 preliminary debate rounds, two of which will be impromptu.
- We will break 8 junior teams and 8 senior teams to the quarter finals, 4 teams from each level to the semifinals and there will eventually be two winners, one from each level.